Some tips for getting that designer look:
1) Glass doors & open shelves – a bank of solid doors looks bland. Mix it up with some glass doors and/or open shelves.
2) Counter & cabinet combos – I believe in either sharp contrasts or very similar. For example, cream and white cabinets look great with a light gray/white or a black counter Wood cabinets look great with a light counter. Resist the natural instinct to blend counters and cabinet colors.
3) Artwork – just because it’s a kitchen doesn’t mean you can’t hang art! In fact, art in kitchens provides a pleasant surprise. Check out this great feature Houzz did on art in kitchens!
4) Lighting – always do under cabinet lighting on a dimmer switch if you can afford it. Avoid fluorescent lighting.
5) Appliance trick – get what’s called a “slide in” stove (see photo left). Tell your counter company though so they can cut the grooves.
Did you find this helpful? Have other ideas? I’d love to hear your comments!