Here are 5 essential elements (think ACTLA):
1) Area Rug: one of the most critical elements – provides softness, cohesion, and defines the space.
2) Coffee Table: just as the area rug defines the space, the coffee table anchors it.
3) Throw Pillows: use on both couches and chairs and don’t scrimp – usually it takes 2-3 pillows in a corner.
4) Lamps: use lamps on side tables or floor lamps – essential to soften the light and support reading.
5) Art: adds critical texture and interest – try some groupings and leave an occasional wall blank.
All elements must be present for a room to look complete!