Try these 5 tips:
1) Places to sit: Make sure you have plenty of places to sit. Make sure each has a place to set a drink and a light to read. Have plenty of pillows and a throw for warmth.
2) Places to sit in the kitchen: People love sitting in kitchens. Take a tip from my sister Mandy (picture left). She had a pretty bench built, added a cushion and pillows, and put a table and two chairs in front of it – making a beautiful and welcoming kitchen hang out! At minimum, if your space is small, get a small stool for the corner.
3) Candles: Nothing exudes a feeling of calm and relaxation like candles. Plus they add intimacy and warmth. Invest in a few glass hurricanes and keep one on your coffee table, side board, kitchen island. Keep extra candles in a drawer.
4) Food: The best hosts have out a plate of snacks when you arrive. Invest in a divided hors d’oeuvres plate and fill it with whatever treats you have around – peanuts, olives, almonds, cheese, and crackers.
5) Fresh flowers: Buy one of the big bouquets and break it up. I have several small bud vases so I can put a few flowers in the foyer, kitchen, and guest bedroom.
Have fun getting ready for the best time of the year!