Wow! Another round of exciting comings to DC:
French Bistro (Petworth): PoP is tracking the progress of Chez Billy’s, a French Bistro in the works for Petworth. As reported earlier this month, another bistro is planned for 14th & Q in Logan Circle.
Smucker Farms (U Street): PoP reports they will open very soon – bringing the tasty treats of Lancaster County, PA to DC!
Yes! Organic (Capitol Hill): City Biz reports Yes! Organic signed a lease for a space in Barrack’s Row, on the corner or 8th and Pennsylvania Avenue, SE.
Spring Mill Bread Company (Capitol Hill): PoP notes a new bread company should open soon on Barrack’s Row.
Italian Restaurant (Columbia Heights): PoP is following the development of Maple, an Italian restaurant in Columbia Heights, hopefully opening in a month.
Coffee Shop-Bar Hybrid (Columbia Heights): The Washingtonian reports the people behind Tryst, The Diner, and Open City are preparing a fourth venture, a coffee shop / bar hybrid in Columbia Heights.
The holidays are coming! You want your guests to feel welcome.
Try these 5 tips:
1) Places to sit: Make sure you have plenty of places to sit. Make sure each has a place to set a drink and a light to read. Have plenty of pillows and a throw for warmth.
2) Places to sit in the kitchen: People love sitting in kitchens. Take a tip from my sister Mandy (picture left). She had a pretty bench built, added a cushion and pillows, and put a table and two chairs in front of it – making a beautiful and welcoming kitchen hang out! At minimum, if your space is small, get a small stool for the corner.
3) Candles: Nothing exudes a feeling of calm and relaxation like candles. Plus they add intimacy and warmth. Invest in a few glass hurricanes and keep one on your coffee table, side board, kitchen island. Keep extra candles in a drawer.
4) Food: The best hosts have out a plate of snacks when you arrive. Invest in a divided hors d’oeuvres plate and fill it with whatever treats you have around – peanuts, olives, almonds, cheese, and crackers.
5) Fresh flowers: Buy one of the big bouquets and break it up. I have several small bud vases so I can put a few flowers in the foyer, kitchen, and guest bedroom.
Have fun getting ready for the best time of the year!
Every day I read about more restaurants, bars, and shops coming to DC! Today a few of note were announced for Logan Circle / U Street, as reported by Urban Turf, Washington Business Journal, and the Prince of Petworth.
Here’s the rundown:
French Bistro – 14th and Q Streets NW. We can never have too many French Bistros, and what a great location and building.
Crossfit Praxis Gym – 14th Street and Florida Avenue NW. Many DC neighborhoods need gyms, so great news.
Buffalo Exchange – 14th Street, just south of Rhode Island Ave NW. I don’t know much about Buffalo Exchange, but it sounds pretty trendy.